Today is Dewey’s 24 hour Readathon and I’m so excited! This is a readathon that lasts for 24 hours and people from all over participate in it. Of course, you don’t have to read for the entire 24 hours. There are also mini challenges to participate in and you can cheer on all the other participants. I’ll be posting my updates here and on Twitter if you want to follow along.
These are the books I’ve picked for the readathon and I know I won’t get through most of them. I wanted to have various options during the day in case I get tired of a book. Not pictured are two books on my kindle and 2 audiobooks as well as a book I forgot to put in the picture.
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
The Professor’s Daughter by Joann Sfar & Emmanuel Guibert
The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke
Daddy’s Gone a Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Wild by Cheryl Strayed (not pictured)
Loving Lucas by Violetta Rand (Kindle)
Crushed by Lauren Layne (Kindle)
Grey by E.L. James (audio)
A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (audio)
Goals for the Day
I would like to finish 3 books and participate in several mini challenges. This is my first time participation in the 24 hour readathon so I’m not sure yet how well I will do as far as achieving my goals goes.
1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I’m in Jackson, Mississippi
2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? The Cinderella Murder and Loving Lucas.
3. Which snack are you most looking forward to? Being pregnant, I gave a lot of thought to my snacks and I’m most looking forward to the frozen waffles and the pizza bagel I plan on making later.
4. Tell us a little something about yourself! My name is Brittany. I try not to stick to just one genre which you should be able to tell by my stack of books for this 🙂 I’m currently 31 weeks pregnant and can’t wait to share my love of reading with my daughter and I already read out loud to her even though she isn’t here yet.
5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my first time participating and I’m most looking forward to all the reading I’m going to be able to do today as well as all the cheering that will be going on. I love the idea that there are so many people reading together around the world.
End of Hour 1
I started Wild by Cheryl Strayed and have gotten about 10 pages in. So far it seems like it should be interesting.
End of Hour 2
I only got through another 20 pages in Wild due to eating breakfast and cleaning up after my cat but I feel like I’ve had a productive morning already since it is now only 9am here.
End of Hour 3
I swapped to Grey by E.L. James on audio so that I could rest my eyes and sort through some baby clothes I was given.
End of Hour 4
I’ve still been listening to Grey and I’m currently 64% through it. I’m going back to Wild now and hope to read quite a bit of it this hour. I will probably be taking a nap soon though.
End of Hour 7
I took an hour long nap and then refueled with some lunch. For hour 8 I plan to start The Professor’s Daughter since it’s a short graphic novel.
End of Hour 8
I started and finished The Professor’s Daughter. I also participated in the Airmchair Traveling mini challenge where I chose to go to Savannah, Georgia in The Last Song to spend time on the beach. Now I’m going to start The Cinderella Murder.
End of Hour 9
I’m 5 chapters into The Cinderella Murder and so far it’s so good! I forgot how much I enjoy Mary Higgins Clark and will definitely be reading more from her in the future. Now back to reading.
End of Hour 10
I’m currently on page 94 of The Cinderella Murder. My eyes are starting to hurt and I need food so I will be taking a break for at least the next hour so that I can recharge. The weather is nice so I may take a walk after I get something to eat.
1. What are you reading right now? The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke
2. How many books have you read so far? I’ve finished one book, read part of 2 others, and listened to part of one.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Loving Lucas
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? I’ve only had two interruptions that weren’t planned and I just went with the flow and didn’t let them bother me.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I love how many people are participating actively on twitter. I knew this read-a-thon was popular but I had no idea it would be trending on twitter so quickly!
End of Hour 13
After a much needed break, I’m back to reading The Cinderella Murder. During my break, I ate dinner and participated in the Recommendation Train mini challenge. I’ve got Sleeping with Sirens playing in the background so that it isn’t too quite in my apartment.
End of Hour 14
I’m making good progress on The Cinderella Murder. I hope to finish it in the next hour and a half or so.
End of Hour 16
I’m still working on The Cinderella Murder and have less than a hundred pages left. It’s 11pm here so I really hope to finish this book soon. I’m starting to get tired and I just can’t stay up as late anymore.
End of Hour 17
I finished The Cinderella Murder. Now I’m getting some sleep. This will probably be the end of the read-a-thon for me.
Books finished: 2
Pages read: 570
Audio listening time: 1 hour 44 min