Massive thanks to Brittany for welcoming me back to The Crafty Engineer’s Bookshelf! In honor of Thanksgiving, (and giving thanks), I wanted to share my Top Ten List of Stuff I’m Grateful For! Some are simple, some involved, but every day I find myself thankful for…
- My career as a writer – I was a lawyer for 13 years. I’ve been an…ahem…professional writer for almost 4. Being a writer is waaaay more fun. Almost nobody cries in my office anymore!
- The beach – I’m lucky enough to live by the shore in Malibu, California, and I get down there pretty much every day. As a result, our floor looks like a sand trap most of the time, but I don’t care! Here’s a shot of my little guy, and the neighbor’s little girl, and dogs Chauncey and Hank at the beach a few weeks ago. C’mon…that sh*t is worth a sandy floor, right?
- Kendall-Jackson Summation Red Wine –They call it the renegade red, but I find it pairs well with everything from a sunset-at-the-beach play date, to late nights writing lines like…
- Music – I love music. Were it not for my abject lack of talent and paralyzing stage fright, I’d have pursued my dream of being a rock star. I’m one of those writers who has a playlist for every book. When I was writing Hard Compromise, this beautiful man was on heavy rotation, and this song in particular, because it summed up my heroine, Laurie’s attitude so perfectly…
- Fresta at Malibu Oasis Salon – Colorist, stylist, miracle worker. Here…need I say more?
- John Oliver – I’m in love with every word. Every rant. Every f-bomb. From net neutrality to the national politics, if that man is talking, I’m listening.
- Fellow Authors – The romance writing community is astoundingly supportive! We could give lessons to the politicians. Seriously. Walking into a writer’s conference is like jumping into a foam pit of positivity. This career has introduced me to so many amazing, talented, generous women—many of whom I’m lucky enough to call friends.
- Readers – Readers inspire me on a daily basis. Not just the ones who send me pictures of hard-bodied men who seem to have misplaced their clothes, (although those are ALWAYS appreciated…and the videoes…OMG)! I’m always thrilled and humbled when someone takes time to tell me they enjoyed one of my stories. It is, quite simply, the best.
- Vanessa & Kevin – a/k/a my son’s birth parents. Along with providing a spot on the calendar for Thanksgiving, November is National Adoption Awareness Month, so Vanessa and Kevin are always on my mind at this time of the year, and on the short-list of blessings I count. They had a lot of complicated reasons for considering adoption. Their plates were full. Ours was empty. Thanks to their difficult, but loving decision almost eight years ago, my husband and I have had the joy of raising our little guy. We have been screwing him up ever since.
- My Family –In the words of Brandi Carlisle, “These stories don’t mean anything if you’ve got no one to tell them to.” Thanks to luck of the draw at birth, and more luck by marriage, I’ve been swapping stories with the funniest, most loving and inspiring people for a long time. I’m proud to be part of their story, and privileged to have them as part of mine!
From my family to yours, have a very happy holiday season!